Tuesday 9 June 2009

Light: Science and Magic


So now I'm trying to figure out how to use my flashgun properly, I settled on Light: Science and Magic as the book to read. And it's proving really interesting so far. I sat down exhausted last night at 10pm and read the first 85 pages just like that - a very readable text, with lots and lots of diagrams to keep you flipping backwards and forwards to see how you can do things, and how you can change certain effects.
To me, it feels a lot more helpful than Strobist's 101 - that glosses over the fundamentals of lighting technique and assumes rather more proficiency than its introduction first implies - but then one is for free and possibly aimed at a different audience than one which is made for you to sit down, read and deal with something much more comprehensively. And I wouldn't have discovered the book without Strobist, so there's some debt to acknowledge there.
This is far off the subject of Diet Croydon, but trust me, all things are connected eventually. When there's a better picture on the cover of the second edition of the novel, you'll understand how it came to be. Plus, this is some sort of document of the books that I've been reading lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment